As an equipping ministry of First Baptist Church, Next Step is for members who have exhibited spiritual maturity and have expressed a desire to evangelize and disciple others. This is appropriate for those who have been discipled in the Timothy Group ministry or by other means.
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” ~Matthew 28:19-20
“And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.” ~2 Timothy 2:2
Those completing this 1-year discipleship training will be equipped to lead an effective discipleship group or work with individuals to help them take the next step in their walk with Christ and eventually disciple others.
Next Step Disciples may apply their training in a variety of ways including the following:
- Church Visitor Contacts
- New Member Discipleship
- Church Member Discipleship
- Growth Group Leadership
- One-to-One Discipleship
- Jail Ministry – Group Bible Study
- Evangelistic Home Bible Studies
Next Step Discipleship will include the following areas of training:
- Personal commitment to the Great Commission – a.k.a. making disciples!
- How to share the Gospel
- Doctrine and Theology – knowing what you believe and why and how to give answers
- How to meet one-to-one with others for evangelism, discipleship, and accountability
- How to facilitate a Next-Step Growth Group
The training will include the following curriculum:
- The Course of Your Life – a personal revolution
- Two Ways to Live – Know and share the Gospel
- So Many Questions – answering common questions
- Growth Groups – how to have effective groups
- One-to-One Bible Reading – meeting with another person for the purpose of reading the Bible
How long will the program last?
Next Step will meet for approximately 1 year, meeting each Sunday evening at 6:00 P.M. in the multi-purpose room of the church.
Who can join?
This program is an equipping ministry of First Baptist Church, thus:
- It is for members.
- It is for committed followers who have exhibited spiritual maturity, who have been discipled through Timothy Groups or other means (not a “new members class or foundational step)
- It is for those who want to evangelize and disciple others.
This is a members-only opportunity. Please talk with Pastor Love if you are interested in joining our church family.
Who should be involved with this training time?
- Current Timothy Group leaders or other Bible Study group leaders
- Teachers (Sunday School, Wednesday nights)
- People who have not yet taken the “next step” but feel like they need to
- Those who have been discipled only “from the pulpit” and want to take a step to making it more personal
What will happen during the training time? Is it all lecture?
The course will include varied teaching styles including DVD clips, lecturing, small group interaction, and one-on-one study.
Is there homework or outside reading involved?
Most of our training will take place during the Sunday night sessions. There will not be a lot of outside work, and there won’t be any books for you to read outside of class.
What about the Sunday night service?
We will continue to have the traditional Sunday night worship service available every week for those not involved in the Next Step Discipleship program.
What should I do with my kids?
As always, nursery is available for children under 2 years of age. Your children 2 years and older will be encouraged to attend the Sunday night worship service where they can sit with qualified adult volunteers. The teen group will continue to meet during this time as well.